The town of Ponce Inlet is located on the southern tip of a beach peninsula, south of Daytona Beach and Daytona Beach Shores. Several marinas are located in Ponce Inlet, which is considered one of the area’s prime fishing spots. The area is prized by residents for its relaxed lifestyle and natural, uncrowded beaches. It has developed a reputation as a community that takes its land use regulations seriously, and one that is committed to preserving the character and lifestyle of a primarily residential haven as articulated in the town visioning statement. It strives to embrace managed growth while resisting external pressure to yield to any changes in its land use regulations that would result in the over-commercialization of this highly sought after residential barrier island community.
Completed in 1887, the Ponce de Leon Inlet Light Station was built when the area was known as Mosquito Inlet. After decades of restoration by the Ponce de Leon Inlet Lighthouse Preservation Association, it stands today as one of the best preserved, most complete light stations in the nation.
Visited by over 80,000 people each year, the Ponce de Leon Inlet Light Station was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1998. The lighthouse tower and museum are located 12 miles (19 km) south of Daytona Beach and are open to the public year round. The Ponce Inlet Lighthouse is the tallest lighthouse in Florida and the second tallest lighthouse in the nation. Visitors who climb the 175-foot-tall (53 m) lighthouse tower are treated to a view of the Florida coastline and Halifax River from Daytona Beach to New Smyrna Beach.